Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Preparation and Anticipation of Spring

Here is an update on my selections for our backyard!


Gerbera Daisy and Vinca Minor (Periwinkle)

These are nice to look at while doing the dishes.  It's good to see some color again!  Once it warms up they will be going outside.   

I have ordered a few plants off of my favorite nursery sites, here are a few...

Sweet Nectar Nursery- Specializes in plants and shrubs that attract butterflies and hummingbirds.


Lonicera Mandarin (honeysuckle)

As a child I always remembered having honeysuckle in the backyard.  My father and I would spend a summer afternoon tasting the sweet nectar of the honeysuckle.  One of the many great memories I have with my father.  So I really wanted this plant to be in our backyard as a reminder of that and to pass that down to my (future) children.


Pink Double Delight Coneflower

I thought this was a beautiful coneflower compared to most coneflowers and just had to have it.  Coneflowers are extremely drought and heat tolerant.  Perfect for summers in Georgia.

DETA-276.jpg
Agapanthus (Lily of the Nile/African Lily)

I thought these blooms were stunning and thought it would be a great addition to the backyard.


Spring Hill Nursery- a nursery I order from on a regular basis


Harlequin Hydrangea

Hydrangeas are one my favorite shrubs and this one is so unique with its white tipped petals, so I got 2!


Purple D'Oro Daylily

I love daylilies!  There are so many different colors and styles of daylilies, and they are very easy to grow.  The Stella D'Oro's I planted last year have already popped up- no blooms yet of course.


Double Decker Coneflower

A very unusual coneflower, drought and heat tolerant!


Clara Curtis Daisy

Like the Shasta daisy, but is fall bloomer.  



David Austin Roses




 Portmeirion

Ordered 3 of these shrubs.




Heritage

and 3 of these...



Pat Austin (named after David Austin's wife)

and ordered 3 of these...


L.D. Braithewaite

I had to get one red rose bush!



Evelyn

I just couldn't resist this beauty.


Alright, so this is what I have ordered so far.  I am eagerly awaiting their arrival along with spring!  I am trying to get as much color as possible in the back yard.  I think I am headed in the right direction so far.  As for now prepping the soil for these plants and shrubs is on my to do list.

It is so much fun making something new and beautiful!


I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to.
- Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings






No comments:

Post a Comment